Classical Mathematics ONE
9-10th grade :: Live online class :: Tutor – Daniel Maycock
This live online course follows our Classical Mathematics ONE guidebook, which must be purchased separately. Please see the curriculum page for information concerning the scope of the course and required texts.
- This course uses the Classical Mathematics ONE curriculum.
- This 31-week online course meets once per week for 2 hours.
- Class time will be spent discussing and working out propositions. Students will be expected to work through propositions during the week and will take turns presenting the proofs to the class. Students should expect to spend an average of 1 – 1.5 hours per school day studying & working problems.
- During the week, students will be responsible for keeping up with weekly assignments & practice problems.
- This class should be understood as a tutorial; parents are expected to assign final grades and proctor exams.
- I will not be grading student work; students will be expected to correct their own assignments. We will review assignments in class, but I will not be collecting nor grading work.
- If requested, I can offer a final grade at the end of the year based on the essays and a cumulative exam.
- Three essays will also be assigned.
- Class size limited to 16 students.
Both students who excel at math and students who think math was invented for the punishment of mankind are welcome. Students enrolling in this class should be strong readers.
Required Books & Materials
- Classical Mathematics ONE (student guidebook & exam booklet)
- Euclid’s Elements (Green Lion Press)
- Mathematics for the Nonmathematician by Morris Kline
- Introduction to Arithmetic – Nicomachus (can be purchased alongside the Classical Math ONE guidebook)
- straightedge & compass (pencil)
- Notebook with blank paper (no ruled or graph paper)
- Pencil (In addition to a regular pencil, I also recommend colored pencils or colored pens.)
- Start date, 26 Aug 2021
- End date, 5 May 2022
- Thursdays 11:00 – 1:00pm EST
Questions? Email Daniel Maycock at email@example.com.
$619 per student
(This does not include any of the required materials, which must be purchased separately.)
Please note that in the event that the class fails to reach a necessary minimum number of registrations by 2 weeks prior to the start date, the class will be canceled, and your registration fees will be refunded in full.